Sunday, January 3, 2010

2009, in retrospect

A Look at my Last Year...

And a fair warning: This thing is like 39 questions long. It's Sunday afternoon and I have nothing to do. And apparently only two things happened to me in the year 2009: I bought a house and I didn't get pregnant. Those two pieces of information will cover almost every answer in this entire survey. Don't say I didn't warn you!

*****

1. What did you do in 2009 that you’d never done before?
Bought a house! Mowed a lawn! Used a Swiffer! Blogged semi-regularly! Wow, need to stop using exclamation marks!!

2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I don't think I made any last year. I did decide and make a goal around mid-January to start blogging more regularly, and I think I did a good job of keeping that goal. In early December I decided to start working out, and I've done a good job of that, too...but then, it's not even been a month!

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?

Yes! Mollyanne! And Jolene!

4. Did anyone close to you die?

Thankfully, no.

5. What countries did you visit?

Mexico (Cozumel and Calica), on our cruise.



6. What would you like to have in 2010 that you lacked in 2009?

A baby.

7. What dates from 2009 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
Nothing is really coming to mind, actually. Buying, renovating, and moving into our house was the biggest "deal" of the year, but it happened over such a long timeframe that no particular date stands out in my mind.

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?


I worked out on Christmas Day. BEFORE opening ANY presents. Someone needs to put that down in the history books.

Oh, and I read the entire Black Heels to Tractor Wheels saga on the Pioneer Woman's webpage. In record time. That felt like an accomplishment.

Oh, and I won two blog giveaways (both CDs)! That was fun!

9. What was your biggest failure?
Well...I failed to get pregnant. But I don't really think it's my fault, so lets not count that. Um, I think I sort of failed my body and my health this year. I can (and do) chalk it up to being overly emotional about not getting pregnant, but I am still responsible for the amount of ice cream I consume and the amount of exercise I get (or don't get). And none of it helped me feel any better, anyway.

10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Nothing major. My asthma and other breathing issues were slightly worse than usual, and I had a cold for like 2 months that I couldn't kick, but nothing really worth writing home about.

11. What was the best thing you bought?
A house! A cruise! Footie pjs for my sister's Christmas!

12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
Huh?? Lola, for sure. Sometimes. Not when someone knocks on the door, though. Or enters the house. Then it's all barking and jumping. Other than that, her behavior was celebratory.

13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?


Haha, Lola. See above. Also, Jon & Kate Gosselin. And all politicians.

14. Where did most of your money go?
Are we seeing a theme here yet? 2009: I Bought a House and I Didn't get Pregnant. Haha. That answers pretty much every question. My money? Went to the house. And decorating it.

15. What did you get really excited about?
Our cruise. Finding out how awesome our neighbors are. Living in the "country". The holidays.

16. What song will always remind you of 2009?
Umm...I don't really know.

17. Compared to this time last year, are you:

(a) happier or sadder?
that's tough. Sometimes I think sadder, because I'm much more stressed about how on earth I'm going to get pregnant (last year at this time I had no way of knowing it would be this hard for us)...but I'm happier, too, in other ways. I have other goals and other things to aim towards (besides pregnancy) so hopefully I will have more things to celebrate this year. We won't have the stress of buying a house this year, which is VERY happy! We will also get the $8000 homebuyers credit, which will give us lots of happiness...mainly because it gives us some financial security for having a baby.
(b) thinner or fatter? umm...fatter? How depressing it is to admit that. But I'm working on it!
(c) richer or poorer? Richer! Sort of. We bought the house, but it's not like that money is gone...so overall, richer.

These questions better get better. This is depressing to think about being sadder and fatter. MOVING ON!

18. What do you wish you’d done more of?


Exercising, ha. Being with my friends in real life. Seeing my family.

19. What do you wish you’d done less of?


Emotional eating...hahaha. (However, Kroger is very thankful I didn't!) I wish I spent less time crying, too.

20. How did you spend Christmas?
With all of our families! It was great!

21. Did you fall in love in 2009?
With Mattie, yes. More every day.

22. What was your favorite TV program?
Lost. Amazing Race. The Office. House Hunters and Property Virgins. Hoarders. Intervention. I Didn't Know I was Pregnant. Biggest Loser. Umm...can you tell we got cable for the first time this year? Ha.

23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?

Nope.

24. What was the best book you read?


I didn't read much this year. I think the most impactful book I read was probably a book our home group read/studied- Communication: Key to your Marriage (H. Norman Wright). Can you guess what it was about??

25. What was your greatest musical discovery?

Umm...I have the lamest taste in music ever. I really doubt I made any great discoveries this year.

26. What did you want and get?


A house. A vacation. New sofas.

27. What did you want and not get?

Let's all say it together, now...in unison! "A BABY!!!"
Also, a fence for the backyard. And non-sucky floors for our kitchen/laundry room/dining room and bathrooms.

28. What was your favorite film of this year?
Despite having Netflix for half the year, I really can't remember any super awesome movies. We certainly don't GO to the movies. Therefore...I can't answer this question.

29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 27 and got to hang out with both Matt's family and my family in Augusta. It was great!

30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?

I bet you can guess.

31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2009?


Umm...whatever fit. :) I wore lots of "play" dresses and skirts in the summer, that was fun. I found that my wardrobe this year mostly revolves around recess at school and what will keep me comfortable then. Strange but true. The rest of the time I usually was wearing old paint-covered clothes because I am usually doing manual labor on or around the house!

32. What kept you sane?



Matt. Lola. Reading blogs.

33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
That's tough. I don't really know.

34. What political issue stirred you the most?

Nothing. Politics stress me out too much for me to pay attention and get "stirred." I prefer to pretend it's just not happening.

35. Who did you miss?


I miss my friends who I never get to see. And it makes me sad that most of them still live in the same town as me...I'm just that sucky of a friend!!

36. Who was the best new person you met?


I don't know about "best," but I've enjoyed getting to know all the new couples in our home group. Also, Anahi and Hudson (babies born to the ladies previously mentioned in #3) are pretty awesome.

37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2009.

You (I) are really, really, really not in control. And that's okay.

38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.

Haven't we already gone over how lame my musical taste is? What makes you think I'll be able to come up with a song lyric without spending 3 hours Googling things? Right...

*****
I'd love to see all of you fill this out! Bear your souls! Impart your wisdom! Help me look less lame!! Introduce me to cooler music!

3 comments:

  1. I like this a lot. I already have about 4 "to do" blog posts in my queue, but if I catch up soon I'll try to fill this out.

    Hudson says thanks for the shout-out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR ABILITY TO BE HONEST!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always smile and laugh when I read your posts. You're a good writer.. keep it up. A-

    I'm thinking you and Matt need to take a getaway to good ole Brooklet. We have a nice guest room.. with a nice bed.. that's perfect for cuddling and other friendliness. See what days are best for you and we'll provide food and couple bonding games.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments almost as much as I love Mexican food. Seriously.