Wednesday, October 12, 2011

babies should not be dressed like clowns

 Hello and welcome to the creepiest-ever edition of Way Back When-sday: Children Dressed like Clowns.


I would like to thank my parents, Paul and Jacky, for making this blog possible. And for instilling in me a lifelong fear of clowns. And when you see these pictures, you're going to feel scared, too. Just warning you.


In general, I am all for dressing up. I'm a huge fan of costumes and dressing up for Halloween. I'm a big fan of babies dressed up for Halloween.


I am not a big fan of clowns. I don't really know anyone in my generation who is.


But at the ripe old age of ten-and-a-half-months-old, I didn't have much say in my Halloween costumage (that's a word, stupid red underliner thing). I'm told I was an opinionated child, but obviously I wasn't opinionated enough to make it clear that I DID NOT WANT TO BE A CLOWN FOR HALLOWEEN THAT YEAR. Or ever, for that matter.


And really, for the record, I'd like to say that I think my parents did an excellent job parenting. I have no qualms or questions about how they raised my siblings and I. Looking back through the photo albums, there are very few instances that caused me to think what WERE my parents thinking? (EXCEPT FOR THIS ONE!!!!!!!! LOLOLOLOL!!!!!!!!!!!) But I'm gonna have to say...Mom and Dad, what were you thinking, dressing your only child up like a friggin CLOWN?!?!! What's with the creepy face paint??!! Why would you DO that to your beautiful daughter??!!!

Well, I won't hold you in suspense any longer. Bring in the clowns (har har har)...




Umm...yeah. Do you see how they painted a mustache on me?? I know this was the early 80s and all, but I'm pretty sure mustaches on baby girls has never been trendy.

I feel like I'm majorly bashing my folks here, so I do want to point out one positive thing I see in the picture above. If you look really close, you can definitely see a toy behind me (and my toy clown). I'm like 98% sure it's a toy truck (dump truck, maybe). At this point in my life, I was an only child (and a girl). I would like to thank my forward-thinking parents for not gender stereotyping me with only 'girl' toys. I'm sure that helped form me into the well-rounded person I am today. Maybe that's what they were going for with the gender-neutral costume, too...but I think that's just crossing the lines. Clown costumes are not gender-neutral. They are inappropriate for all forms of human beings.

Parents: If you love your children, you will choose SOMETHING OTHER THAN A CLOWN to dress them as for Halloween. 

This is a Public Awareness message. It has not been endorsed by anyone except for all thinking humans.

8 comments:

  1. oh my word! that is too too much! I will be repaying your posts with some homemade halloween costumes of my own in the next few weeks. I really hope I'm not doing this to my children without realizing it! hahahha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, that really is creepy. But your outfit is pretty similar to the toy clown's outfit, so props to them if that's what they were going for?

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is hilarious. I'm pretty sure my parents dressed my older sister as a clown one year. But I completely agree on their creepiness!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha you look like a little Hispanic boy!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Um, yeah. That was really bad. But I admit I'm now tempted to find H a toddler clown costume just to freak you out.

    WV: bleep. As in, your reaction to my comment.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow I just laughed out loud at "I'm pretty sure mustaches on baby girls has never been trendy." Well done. Also, hi Caroline...yes, mom and dad dressed me and Marisa up as clowns (sadly sans mustaches).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Perhaps it's also a "Parent Awareness Message." :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. HA!! I was also dressed as a clown! Ben was watching this show the other night on the history of clowns and how they started to become associated with being scary and evil. Pretty interesting!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments almost as much as I love Mexican food. Seriously.