Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Christmas Mantel

Let's be honest-- one of the main reasons I was so excited to get my Christmas decor up so early (it was still November, yall!! That's EARLY!!) was so that I could participate in all of the show-off-your-decor blog carnivals. I love gleaning tips and ideas from other bloggers, which means that the mantel you are about to see pictures of today could look totally different in a few days- after I get done stealing ideas from everyone else! 

So today I'm linking up with The Lettered Cottage to show off my holiday mantel decorations!

Perhaps I should start with a disclaimer: Last year, I discovered Pinterest. Right before Christmas. Therefore I made every cheap/free/easy Pinterest Christmas craft that ever existed and then invented a few more besides. So if my mantel looks like it was decorated by a three-year-old with a gluegun who raided her garage and then Michael's and Goodwill...well, that would be a fair observation. But I'd be lying if I said I didn't like the finished product. Not too fussy, not too store-bought...yup, suits me just fine!

The "Merry Christmas" sign, stockings, stocking holders, and angel are all store-bought things I've had for years. Sorry for the awkward angle-- the layout of our living room makes it hard to get a shot of the whole thing. Or it could be the photographer. Either way.

These are a few of my Book Trees...I made a veritable forest of these last year. Yeah. Pinterest craft gone wild. But I love them!


The Book Trees are hanging out in front of my famous Stick Tree I made last year. Maybe it's not famous to you...but it was my very first craft I invented all on my own AND made a tutorial for, so...famous in my heart. Plus, I like it. I like trees in general. Christmas trees. Oak trees. Dogwood trees. Palm trees. Whatever. Trees. Yay.


OH LOOK, MORE TREES!! I know, you're shocked. These I made last year, too. They involved a sewing machine, which makes me a totally legit crafter. The tree stumps are little wooden sewing thread spool thingies...aren't they cute?! Love these trees.


These trees live in front of a mirror. And then I discovered that I could focus on myself in the mirror instead of on the trees, and you wouldn't even believe how much fun I had doing that. A professional photographer I am not. Easily entertained? Probably yes.


So that's my mantel this year! I currently like it, but can almost guarantee that there'll be changes as the season progresses. As the blog carnivals roll on. As I perfect my new woodburning hobby. As the Pinterest moves me.

In case you're curious, this is what my mantel (and the rest of the house) looked like last year. Now go join in on the fun and show me YOUR mantel! Quid pro quo, right? Happy Tuesday!

15 comments:

  1. Once again, I am so impressed with your craftiness! My house has benefited mostly from Target's craftiness...

    ReplyDelete
  2. As usual, your home looks lovely, Erika! I prefer the homemade look to store bought any day! We still don't have our Christmas stuff up...maybe this weekend. We are going off the grid for some much needed home and couple time (seriously, I've seen the poor man like 5 waking hours in the last 5 weeks!). I loved your stick treat tutorial last year and it is still very informative, not to mention entertaining this year :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to ditto Amanda, as usual!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Adorable and simple! I love it! I'm not a blogger...as you know, so as soon as I get my mantle finished I'll email you a pic. (I've been flat on my behind since Friday...not feeling well!) :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your mantle was look Beautiful, seems you have also making a creativity one.

    When months of BER arrived Christmas is fast approaching, so everyone would be excited ..

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it and all the trees! :) We have a wooden Chritmas tree that's made out of blocks and painted. It's super cute too! You should make one!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really LOVE your stick tree. It's my kind of craft, except I don't have a glue gun. I also really like the book trees. Books AND trees -- really, what could be better?!?

    I really might have to figure out how to add some book trees to my decor...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those book trees are SOOO adorable, and I love the twig Christmas tree. (Did I just sound like a Mean Girl? SOOO adorable!) I can relate to not having motivation for decor until Pinterest. This year I love our decor and it's all because Pinterest convinced me that I needed a White Christmas. And now I have one. And it's awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those book trees are SOOO adorable, and I love the twig Christmas tree. (Did I just sound like a Mean Girl? SOOO adorable!) I can relate to not having motivation for decor until Pinterest. This year I love our decor and it's all because Pinterest convinced me that I needed a White Christmas. And now I have one. And it's awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh I loooovvveee the book trees. I have seen similar ones on Pinterest and for the life of me, I can not see myself attempting something like that. Too many areas for me to stress about (how do they stay, for one? glue?) But they're so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Over from Lettered Cottage. Love the stick tree and the book trees! I may have to figure out how to incorporate them over at my place!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have a book tree :) I love your star on the top!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very nice work. I love all your trees, and pinned some of your photos on my a Pinterest Board for Tabletop Trees. Kinda got a thing for them this year. Already looking forward to making more for next year!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really love your book trees Erika! I remember seeing them last year and putting them on a "crafts to do" list...still haven't gotten around to them. But I can appreciate yours! ;)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments almost as much as I love Mexican food. Seriously.